Sunday, April 6, 2008

Be Kind Rewind



In loving respect for Michel Gondry's work, I went down to SOHO last month to see the exposition Be Kind Rewind shortly before his identically titled film was released in theaters.

Be Kind Rewind
is a film about two childhood friends living in Pasaic, New Jersey, trying to make ends meet. After one of the characters accidentally gets his brain magnetized by trying to sabotage a local power plant, he visits the video store his friend is taking care of while the owner is away and unknowingly erases all of the video tapes in the store’s inventory. The characters decide to make their own homemade versions of popular films in a junkyard behind the store. These new “sweded” films—recreations using commonly available, everyday materials—prove more popular with the customers than the originals, making the two friends local celebrities.

For the exhibition, Michel Gondry recreated the video store in the gallery, complete with a back lot containing a variety of movie sets where visitors can make their own renditions of films. All videos created during the exhibition were viewed in the gallery. About the project, Gondry states:
“I don’t intend nor have the pretension to teach how to make films. Quite the contrary. I intend to prove that people can enjoy their time without being part of the commercial system and serving it. Ultimately, I am hoping to create a network of creativity and communication that is guaranteed to be free and independent from any commercial institution.”


I
t was fun. Sometimes (and maybe because of those commercial institutions) we forget that working should be fun, primarily. The only thing that surprised me was that you could not use your own camera! Made me wonder WHY ? If it is about the creative process and networking- shouldn't that be the last thing that is restricted ??? ... Mr. Gondry, do not make me lift that eyebrow!!!

Have not seen the movie yet, but if you have any opinions, feel free to post!

1 comment:

Shani Peters email @ shaniv2003@yahoo.com said...

Elena,

I haven't seen the exhibition but I did see the movie. I really liked it- it was a feel good kind of thing but not in the typical dumb hollywood way.

This "sweed" idea is a concept in its own. I'm happy to hear there is a real exhibition around this idea, I'm going to try to check it out...

thanks for the info